Wednesday, September 21, 2022

If you're on time, you're late, redux

Sometimes, it's do as I say, not as I do.

Today, I had a meeting that started at 9AM. It was a talk that I was interested to hear, though if I didn't attend, nobody would notice.

I had two choices: I could arrive to the meeting super early after an early morning errand (like 8AM which would have been obscenely early for this type of meeting) OR I could go home, see the kids off to school and probably make it there exactly on time.

I chose the latter.

And, of course, there was traffic!

Thus, I rolled up to the parking lot 10 minutes late. For a second, I considered skipping, but I decided, hey, I drove all this way, I may as well go listen.

Except, the stars were aligned to knock me down a notch (who do you think you are to give advice on time management!?) because the room was set up (who does this!?) so that I entered at the FRONT of the room where all eyes turned to me. Luckily, I still had my sunglasses on, so nobody could see my semi-embarrassed eyes.

Why do I share this? Because even though I was late, I'm super glad I went. The talk was very engaging and educational, and I even chatted with the speaker afterwards to get more information.

Sometimes, the possibility of embarrassment holds us back, when in reality, it is short lived and an experience we can chalk up to "being comfortable with being uncomfortable." Consider trying it sometime.

P.S. That story about the guy who got into an accident on the way to the interview? I found out he didn't get the job. Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A month of weekday blogging

Today is the last day of September and I've been blogging here every weekday this month. Bottom line: I enjoy writing and I've got m...