Thursday, September 1, 2022

Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog "Yes And Jean."

You may be wondering about the odd name. It's because the multiple other combinations I tried were already taken*. At some point, the blog address was less important than getting started, so here we are!

The purpose of this blog is to share life advice with young people as they navigate from youth to young adult to adult. In my other blog "Life lessons to share," each day of the week has a specific topic, i.e. Mondays are "Quotable Quotes," Tuesdays are "Life Lessons," etc. I haven't decided yet if I'll follow a similar pattern here.

The idea of "Yes And" comes from improv - it's the idea of affirming what someone else has said ("Yes") and linking the second part ("And") in a way that makes the first and second parts equal. This is in contrast to "Yes But" which elevates the part after the "But" over the first part.

My favorite way of using "Yes And" is to explore new opportunities without necessarily knowing all the answers up front. It's a way of being curious enough to say "Yes" and then saying "And I'll figure it out along the way." In December 2020, I said "Yes And" to being part of the Zoom technical team for an online conference, and it was a great experience. I didn't have to know all the answers when I started because we had an amazing team and we figured it out together!

I'll end here because another thing I like to do is keep my posts short. I was all about TL;DR^ before I even knew the abbreviation.

* And frustratingly, those blogs are dormant!

^ Too long; didn't read - you know all those open browser windows? I need to accept I'll never read those articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A month of weekday blogging

Today is the last day of September and I've been blogging here every weekday this month. Bottom line: I enjoy writing and I've got m...